Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Cameron Scott Thompson

It was Thursday July 9, 2009 and I was working like I normally would on a Thursday. I was sitting in another meeting when I my cell phone vibrated. It was Rebecca. I knew she had gone to see her doctor today; so I stepped out of my meeting to take her call. She said, "Honey, we're going to have a baby today. He wants to induce me at 2 p.m today." My response, "Okay this isn't April Fool's so I guess you're not kidding!!" We talked a bit more and I staggered back to my meeting stunned and said "I think I have to go, I'm having a baby today." Went to my office told my boss what was happening and headed north for home. It was the beginning a a surreal weekend!!!

We got to St. Mark's Hospital in Salt Lake around 2 p.m. and got Rebecca admitted. Got here hooked up to an IV and about 4 or 5 p.m. they started inducing her. Contractions started and a few hours later she go the epidural which took away the pain and seemingly slowed her contractions down. Rebecca also lost all motor functions of her legs; so I had to move them around for her. Rebecca's sister Sarah and Mom had arrived for the evening. Things were going fine and I even caught an hour of shut eye around midnight. We even sent her mom and sister home to sleep when the nurse checked and Rebecca was 9 centimeters dilated and he was crowning.

Rebecca and I prior to all the excitement!!

Well, I got a shot of adrenaline, woke up, called her family back and the hospital called the doctor. About a half an hour later Rebecca was pushing and after ten to fifteen minutes our son Cameron Scott Thompson was born at 1:56 a.m. July 10, 2009 weighing in at 5 lbs. 2 oz and 18 inches long.

Rebecca with Cameron just after he was born.

Since he was early and small he was rushed over the NICU unit. We then had to get Rebecca up to a recovery room which we did and around 3:45 a.m. we both crashed pretty hard. We woke up the next morning going "Did we just have a baby?" We did and he's quite the miracle child and we are blessed to have him in our lives.

Cameron a few hours after being born.

So, our weekend was spent in the hospital seeing Cameron in the NICU every three hours, visiting with family. My parents got in Friday morning from Reno where they now live. We also exchanged hundreds of text messages, emails and phone calls with friends around the country and world. Rebecca got discharged from the hospital on Sunday, but Cameron had to stay as he needs to be eating consistently for us to take him home. He's a strong boy and doing very well. Everything else has checked out fine and he is getting stronger everyday. Rebecca is recovering well and happy to be able to get into her normal clothes again. We're both enjoying being able to sleep regular hours at night, because we both know that once he's home that won't be the case.

Rebecca also had a baby shower planned for last weekend which got cancelled and can hopefully be rescheduled very soon. We greatly appreciated all the flowers, cards, phone calls, warm thoughts and prayers as welcome this new little bundle of joy into our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment